Skip to Content

Lead Paint Poisoning

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), lead in paint is the most common source of lead poisoning for children. Children who live in homes built prior to 1978 may suffer lead poisoning if they ingest chips of lead-based paint or dust.

In addition to paint, objects, such as toy jewelry, contain lead. In some instances, toy jewelry contains levels of lead that can pose a serious health risk to children.

Children (age seven and younger) are at an increased risk of developing learning disabilities associated with lead poisoning. Even low levels of lead can block an infant's mental development.

If not detected early, children with high levels of lead in their bodies can suffer from:

  • Behavior and learning problems (such as hyperactivity)
  • Slowed growth
  • Damage to the brain and nervous system
  • Hearing problems
  • Headaches

Lead is also harmful to adults. Adults can suffer from:

  • Difficulties during pregnancy
  • Reproductive problems (in both men and women)
  • High blood pressure
  • Digestive problems
  • Nerve disorders
  • Memory and concentration problems
  • Muscle and joint pain

Although the Federal Government banned lead paint in residential homes, multiple layers of paint remain in homes built before 1978. Lead poisoning has also been reported when homes containing lead-based paint are remodeled or renovated without precautions taken.

Lawsuits can be brought on behalf of children who have suffered lead poisoning. Because children exposed to lead paint may suffer mild to moderate brain damage, these children are entitled to be compensated by those responsible for the poisoning.

Contact Us

If your child or someone you know has been exposed to lead paint, we can help you. Call Gebhardt & Kiefer, P.C. at 908-735-5161 to schedule a free consultation, or fill out the contact form on this site.  Our firm serves clients throughout central and northwestern New Jersey.